Scheduling TennCare Kids Well-Child Visits
If you’re not in TennCare but think you might be eligible, or you have questions, contact the Tennessee Health Connection at 855-259-0701.
You want to get your infant’s health started off right. Call your doctor or TennCare health plan today to schedule an appointment. Doctors, dentists and other health professionals will make sure your little one is developing normally and help detect any problems that might need more attention.
Where do I take my child to get their checkup?
- Your child's doctor (Primary Care Provider)
- Your local health department
What does TennCare Kids provide?
- Free well-child checkups
- Dental checkups and services
- Medical treatment
- Behavioral health services
What if I need help making an appointment?
Call your doctor or TennCare health plan.
What if I need transportation to my appointment?
Call your TennCare health plan.
Babies need to visit the doctor every few weeks or months until they reach age 3, and children need checkups every year after that. Checkups and other services are done by doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals. Call your child's doctor, TennCare health plan or local health department today to schedule an appointment.
What will happen at the checkup?
- Review of the baby’s health history
- Complete physical exam
- Lab tests (as appropriate)
- Vision/hearing screenings
- Developmental/behavioral screenings (as appropriate)
- Advice on how to keep your child healthy
- At birth
- 3–5 days
- 1 month old
- 2 months old
- 4 months old
- 6 months old
- 9 months old
- 12 months old
- 15 months old
- 18 months old (1½ years old)
- 24 months old (2 years old)
- 30 months old (2½ years old)
- 3 years old
- 4 years old
Middle childhood and adolescence:
When children reach the age of 3, it is recommended that they receive TennCare Kids health screenings every year until the age of 21. In addition, children should see their dentist every 6 months for FREE TennCare Kids dental exams beginning at age 1,or earlier if needed. These dental exams should take place two times every year and are covered by TennCare until a member turns 21.
Check back for:
- A follow-up appointment (if needed)
- Your next scheduled visit
- Any new health problem that comes up
What if there is a problem?
TennCare will cover services needed to find or treat medical problems.
To schedule a TennCare Kids visit, call your doctor or PCP. If you don't have a doctor, your local health department can help.