Below is a list of some resources for people with Developmental Disabilities, with special attention to Autism. Some of the resources also relate to other disabilities.
Also, caring for a child with intellectual or developmental disabilities (i.e., cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorders, spina bifida, Down syndrome, traumatic brain injury, etc.) or special healthcare needs can be enormously challenging and stressful. You may want to read about Have A Child With A Disability, You Need Support Too.
You may also want to explore the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) toolkit.
This tool covers a number of topics regarding health care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Autism Now
- National source for resources and info, national initiative of The Arc
- Autism TN
- Resource tab listing by counties in Middle TN
- An advocacy and support organization for families, with conferences, educational workshops, support groups and many other types of events for families of individuals with autism
- Autism Society of America
- National Autism Association
- Autism Speaks
- Easter Seals
- The Arc Tennessee
- Tennessee Early Intervention System
- TN Disability Pathfinder
- TN Disability Coalition
- Tennessee Respite Coalition
- Tennessee Technology Access Program
- University of TN Boling Center
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities
- Vanderbilt Autism Helpline
- Toll-free: (877) ASD-VUMC (273-8862)
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center's Treatment and Research Institute for Autism Spectrum Disorders (TRIAD)http://vkc.mc.vanderbilt.edu/vkc/triad/
- Council on Developmental Disabilities