Parents as Teacher's or PAT is a home-based program which focuses on parenting skills, early childhood development and school readiness, as well as the health and wellness of family members. Services can begin prenatally or postpartum and continue through age 5 years. Participating families can expect to receive:
- Personal teaching visits
- Health and developmental monitoring and education
- Monthly opportunity to meet with other parents for fun and educational activities
- Connections and referrals to other needed services
PAT Parent Educators recognize that parents are truly a child's "first teacher." PAT uses a strengths-based approach to support parents to be informed, caring, confident and proactive as they establish a home that supports their children in those critical early years of life. The Parents As Teachers model has four dynamic components, each closely interrelated and integrated personal visits, group meetings, child screenings and a resource network. Together, these four components create a cohesive package of services with four primary goals:
- Increase parent knowledge of early childhood development and improve parenting practices.
- Provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Prevent child abuse and neglect.
- Increase children’s school readiness and school success.
There is no cost to participate and participation is voluntary.
Available to residents of Chattanooga, Knox County, Memphis, and Cleveland, TN who are pregnant or have a child up to age 5. Additional eligibility requirements for each program are listed on the referral forms.
How to get started
- Find the location closest to you below, and use their contact information.
- Ages 1-3
- Under 12 Months
- Ages 4-5
Parents as Teachers – Chattanooga, TN
Starfish – Cleveland, TN
Porter-Leath – Memphis, TN
Knox County Parents as Teachers – Knoxville, TN