Due to COVID-19, people have practiced physical distancing to help prevent the spread of the virus. However, when those fears drive families who need healthcare away from hospitals and clinics, it can become dangerous.
Health experts continue to voice that doctors’ offices and emergency rooms are safe. If you or a member of your family need to go, you should. Well child visits are also extremely important and should continue as your young child grows and develops. Here are just a few reasons why children need to see their primary care provider regularly:
· For newborn visits after a baby is born and well child visits throughout childhood.
· To stay up-to-date on immunizations.
· For hearing and vision screenings.
· To monitor growth, blood pressure, and other vital signs.
· To check labs such as for anemia.
· To check on developmental milestones.
· To treat infections or injuries.
· For routine lead testing.
Across Tennessee, hospitals and clinics have updated their safety procedures to keep you and your family safe. Contact your healthcare provider to learn about the safety measures that are in place. Most are implementing or requiring the following;
· Patients and guests must wear a mask
· Patients are screened with temperature checks
· Appointments may be spaced out
· Extra cleaning and disinfection protocols
· Social distancing reminders and signage
· Patients may be tested prior to surgeries, procedures and hospital admissions
· Telehealth services may be available
The Tennessee Department of Health (TDH) reports a recent drop in immunization rates due to COVID-19. Now is the time for kids to get caught up on their immunizations. To learn more about the immunizations your child needs, visit https://www.kidcentraltn.com/health/checkups/what-immunizations-will-my-child-need.html.
You and your family’s health are essential. If you have any concerns, or a family member has a chronic medical condition, it’s important to call your healthcare provider right away and get the care you need. Healthcare providers are ready and here for you and your family.